The mission of the Utah State University Department of Kinesiology and Health Science is to optimally prepare future scholars, practitioners, and leaders and to increase the effectiveness of local and extended community services by providing evidence-based, applied educational programs and facilitating the attainment, advancement, and dissemination of knowledge in the disciplines of kinesiology and health science.
In support of our mission, we house undergraduate programs in Health Education and Promotion, Recreation Administration, and Kinesiology and graduate programs in Sport and Physical Education, Health Education and Promotion, Fitness Promotion, Exercise Science, Sports Medicine, Sports Management and Pathokinesiology.
To achieve our mission, we are committed to:
- Providing widely accessible, fundamental understanding of, and innovative practical experiences related to, the health and function of the human body.
- Fostering collaboration within the sub-disciplines of kinesiology and health and within the academic, local and extended communities.
- Empowering and inspiring students to think critically, and communicate effectively.
- Cultivating national and international reputation by continually extending the impact of our instructional and research programs – and outreach
- Contributing to the improvement and effectiveness of services for individuals, families, communities, schools, and organizations.
The Department of Kinesiology and Health Science is committed to educating and serving students and members of both local and extended communities in the fields of Kinesiology and Health Science.
Goal 1: Masterful Teaching
In alignment with the vision for the Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services, we value high-quality teaching and teacher training. As such, we will continue to focus on these aims:
- Enhancing the accessibility and effectiveness of our programs through masterful teaching and mentoring
- Aligning undergraduate programs on human movement science and health promotion with national standards and professional certifications
- Maintaining a high quality of non-classroom undergraduate research experience
Goal 2: Student and Faculty Research/Scholarship
We value the attainment, advancement and dissemination of research. As such, we will continue to focus on these six aims:
- Recruiting highly-motivated and skilled students into our labs and graduate programs
- Seeking out faculty with innovative research agendas
- Fostering an environment of collaboration and respect between disciplines
- Supporting and encouraging student and faculty publication productivity
- Supporting faculty and student attendance at national conferences
- Encouraging and supporting faculty and student attainment of external funding
Goal 3: Public service and outreach
We are committed to constructively engaging with our local and global communities in the fields related to kinesiology and health science. As such, we will continue to focus on these three aims:
- Increasing the visibility of our undergraduate and graduate programs
- Pursuing new external collaborations and partnerships
- Providing services to professional groups that serve our former, current and future students and our faculty
Department Code of Collegiality
Collegiality is not simply a matter of being nice to the people we work with. It consists of behaving in an appropriate professional manner that promotes, to the greatest extent possible, the mission of the department.
As members of the Department of Kinesiology and Health Science at Utah State University, we undertake to communicate with others, both orally and in writing, in a manner that is polite, respectful, and courteous. Whenever we disagree with someone, we restrict our differences to the issues itself while continuing to respect the individual with whom we disagree. All of our discussion and argumentation will be conducted in a polite, courteous, and dignified manner.
Excellence is evidenced by:
- Contributing actively and positively to the morale ofthe department and university
- Promoting courtesy and harmony and politely taking a stand against incivility when it occurs
- Openly recognizing and promotingcontributions of others in achieving department and university goals.
- Working for the good of department and university goals
- Working for the good of the whole rather than for personal gain or credit
Test your collegiality with the following question:
- Does your behavior contribute to or make more difficult the central mission of the KHS department with respect to teaching, research, and service/extension?
- Are your actions focused on personal gain or success of the department?
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Kinesiology and Health Science Department valuses diversity, equal opportunity, and inclusion as central to our pursuit for academic excellence, discovery and engagement. Our department strives to facilitate diverse perspectives, encourage free exchange of ideas, and cultivate mutual respect and compassion.
- Kinesiology and Health Science
- 7000 Old Main Hill
- Logan, UT 84322-7000